upcycle with sharon
"Upcycle with Sharon" // A 4 week course with Designer Sharon Sweeney // Starts Monday March 4th // 18:30 - 21:30
"Upcycle with Sharon" is a new 4 week course designed to empower individuals at all sewing skill levels to breathe new life into old garments. Led by fashion designer Sharon Sweeney, this hands-on course aims to provide participants with the knowledge and skills needed to sew, repair and transform worn-out clothes into unique, personalised new garments. Through one-on-one mentoring and a collaborative learning environment, participants will enjoy a journey of creativity, sustainability and practical learning.
"Upcycle with Sharon" is a comprehensive course that combines practical skills, creative expression, and sustainable fashion principles. The course will be conducted over a 4 week period every Monday from 6:30pm - 9:30pm, beginning March 4th. You will firstly learn how to use the machine and create your own scrunchie, before moving onto your piece that you want to upcycle. The course will focus on different upcycling and sewing techniques, and participants will have the opportunity to learn through hands-on practice, supported by Sharon's guidance and expertise.
1. Empower participants: The course aims to empower individuals with the knowledge and skills to reimagine and repurpose their old garments, fostering a sense of creativity and self-expression.
2. Promote sustainability: By teaching upcycling techniques, the course encourages sustainable practices by reducing waste and extending the lifespan of clothing items.
3. Foster individuality: Participants will be encouraged to create unique and personalised garments, allowing their personal style to shine through the upcycling process.
● Open to all levels of sewing knowledge: Whether you're a complete beginner or an experienced sewer, "Upcycle with Sharon" welcomes participants of all skill levels. The course will be tailored to accommodate individual learning needs.
● Hands-on approach: The course emphasises practical learning, with participants actively engaging in individual upcycling projects during each session. Sharon will provide step-by-step instructions, and personalised guidance to ensure each participant achieves their desired outcomes
.● One-on-one mentoring: Sharon's expertise will be shared through personalised mentoring. Participants will receive individual attention, enabling them to address their specific challenges and achieve their upcycling goals.
● Provided materials: Basic tools and equipment, including paper, scissors, set squares, and sewing machines, overlocker, pencils and paper will be provided on the day of the course. Participants need not worry about bringing their own equipment.
Bring your own items: Participants are encouraged to bring a few garments they wish to upcycle, allowing them to transform their own pieces under Sharon's guidance. It’s good to bring a few options and talk about them with Sharon on the day to see what will work best. If participants have specific fabrics they would like to incorporate into their designs, they are welcome to bring them as well. - Please note that due to the time limit of the class, bring something you think will be achievable in the time we have. ( No ball gown transformations! etc.) More so altering existing pieces.
COURSE FEE €200
Materials & Equipment provided.
* Classes take place in the Digital Court building on Rainsford St, Dublin 8 (just off Thomas St) - D08R2YP
Sharon Sweeney is the founder and creative mind behind her eponymous slow fashion label. From her studio @ FLUX in the heart of the Digital Hub in Dublin 8, she crafts unique and timeless pieces where sustainability, quality, and style coalesce. From the selection of materials to the packaging choices and work processes, each decision is carefully considered to minimize the impact our clothing has on the environment.
* Unfortunately, no refunds are given. Please make sure that you, or the person you are gifting the workshop to, can attend this workshop.
If you cannot attend the workshop we can reschedule your workshop if you inform us up to 21 days prior to the workshop's start date. If you request to reschedule less than 21 days before the workshop starting date we will not be in a position to change the date. Places can be given to a friend if you can no longer attend - please inform us as soon as you can with the new attendee's contact details.